How to Prevent a Sewage Backup with Plumbers Near You
Posted in Sewer Line Repair, on May 30, 2022
Plumbing issues can be a big inconvenience. No one likes to deal with plumbing problems. Many people try to fix their own plumbing issues, but for some people, it can be very difficult without the right knowledge and tools. This is why it is a good idea to call a professional emergency plumbing company in Fort Lauderdale to help.
A sewage backup not only makes your entire home smell horrible but can also cause major problems such as mold, mildew and ruined floors, walls and ceilings.
What Are Sewage Back Ups
Sewage backups are among the most dangerous and smelliest types of home plumbing problems you'll ever have to deal with. Clogged pipes can overflow, spreading a mixture of water, feces and other liquid and solid waste through your floors and beyond.
Sewage backups often originate with blocked drains. When a bowl or sink fills with water, it creates a seal that prevents the passage of waste and air into the pipes. Because the pipes aren't being flushed regularly, waste material can build up on the insides of the pipes. As these pipes fill up with waste and decompose, you'll find yourself facing a sewage backup.
Sewage backups can also originate inside sewer pipes, which are created when gravity pulls waste downward toward a local treatment facility and out to the ocean. If tree roots break through your sewer line, the pipe can become clogged and wastewater can start to back up into your home. Sewage backups caused by broken sewer lines are largely a problem in older buildings, as new, PVC-pipe sewer systems have largely replaced older clay-pipe lines.
The number 1 way to prevent sewer backups, is by letting a plumber in Fort Lauderdale do an inspection of your sewer system each year when they do the annual inspection of your water lines.
6 Sewer Backup Prevention Tips
Below are some steps you can take to prevent sewage backups from happening in your home.
- Be careful what you flush down the toilet – only human waste and toilet paper should go down the drain.
- Use strainers in your sinks and tubs to catch hair and other debris before it has a chance to clog the pipes.
- Inspect your plumbing regularly for leaks or cracks, and have them repaired as soon as possible.
- Avoid planting trees or shrubs too close to your sewer line – their roots could eventually cause problems.
- Have your sewer system inspected by a professional plumber every year, so potential issues can be caught early on. 6. If you do experience a sewage backup, call a professional immediately to clean up the mess and repair any damage caused by the backed-up sewage
- Invest in a sump pump. These pumps are specifically designed to get rid of excess water, and will usually prevent damage from occurring. You'll want to put your sump pump somewhere inside your home's lowest level, as this will ensure that it can drain water away as quickly and efficiently as possible.
How Plumbers Eliminate Sewage Odors
- The first thing to do is to ventilate the affected areas by opening all the windows and switching on the exhausts to eliminate the raw sewage smell.
- While you await the emergency plumbers near Boca Raton and sewage cleaners, running water through infrequently used shower drains/toilets is a short-term solution.
- White vinegar can work wonders for cleaning and removing sewage stench. Fill any empty plastic spray bottle with white vinegar and water. Use this DIY spray to neutralize the sewage odors. Spritz around the house, holding the bottle about six inches away from the furniture and other fixtures. Similarly, mist on the floor and other affected hard surfaces. Don’t worry about the vinegar smell - it goes away after some time.
- Charcoal is an excellent remedy for foul odors as it absorbs pungent smells and freshens the air. Put charcoal pieces in glass bowls and place them around the house. Replace after 6-8 hours.
- Baking soda is another life-saver! Sprinkle your carpets and rugs with baking soda and let it remain overnight. Thoroughly vacuum it the next day to eliminate the raw sewage odor. Baking soda is a natural remedy to effectively neutralize the sewage smells in your carpeting.
- Finally, use any scented odor eliminator or fresh aroma oils to remove residual sewer gas odors. You can easily find them in your local grocery or home needs store.
Sewage Backups in Fort Lauderdale
If you have ever had the misfortune of dealing with a plumbing malfunction in your home, you know just how frustrating it can be. In the event that there is a sewage backup, you immediately have to start dealing with the mess and call one of the many plumbing companies in Fort Lauderdale to tackle the problem as soon as possible.
Prompt Cleanup Minimizes The Effect of a Sewer Backup
Sewage backups are never fun. Not only are they smelly and inconvenient, but they can also cause serious damage to your home. If you do experience sewer backup, promptly calling a plumbing company in Fort Lauderdale like Broward Plumber to clean up the affected areas will help prevent further damage to your home. If you need sewage backup plumbing services in Fort Lauderdale, contact Broward Plumbing today!