How Wet Weather Affects Your Sewer Lines
Posted in Sewer Line Repair, on March 21, 2023
Rainy weather is soulfully refreshing but can also bring unwanted plumbing issues. Wet weather can significantly impact your sewer system with frustrating and damaging backups, overflows, and other problems. Though a skilled plumber in Boca Raton can help with sewage backups and trenchless sewer line repair, understanding how excess rain affects sewer lines can help with preventive steps. Read below to explore the effects of wet weather on sewer lines and proactive measures.
Wet Weather Sewer Line Repairs
- Sewer Backups & Overflows: A heavy downpour brings debris like leaves, sticks, trash, and soil runoff. This debris can block the sewers and cause nasty and unhygienic backups in your home. Rains can also cause a deluge of water inside your sewers, overloading the system and causing overflows and backflows. Contact an experienced plumber in Boca Raton for wet weather backups and professional trenchless sewer line repair.
- Outdoor Flooding: Water can accumulate in the dips and shallow points in your yard and driveway with heavy rainfall. These rainwater pools can flood your home’s yard, basement, or driveway without proper outdoor drainage. Over time, it can also affect the stability of your deck, driveway, or the underlying home foundation.
- Cracks & Pipe Bursts: Unfortunately, blockages and excess rainwater can pressurize the sewer pipes, leading to cracks and breaks. If you have old or compromised pipelines, the wet weather can trigger a pipe burst nightmare with water flooding your yard and home. When pipes burst, contact the leading plumbers near Boca Raton for cast iron pipe repair and more plumbing services.
- Underground Pipe Shifting: Rainwater from a downpour can flood and saturate the soil in your yard. This wet, heavy soil exerts undue pressure on underground sewage and water lines. This can cause the underground sewer lines to shift, putting them at risk of breaks and cracks. Broken sewer lines can also cause sewage water to seep down or back up through plumbing fixtures.
Preventing Sewer Backups During Wet Weather
Homeowners must be proactive to avoid unnecessary sewer issues and backups during a spring or winter rainstorm.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean and debris free for smooth passage of excess water. This will prevent water from saturating the ground and pooling around your home’s foundation.
- Install a backwater valve to stop sewer water from backing into your home during heavy rain.
- Safe waste disposal is essential to keep sewers and drains clean. Toilets should only flush down human waste and toilet paper, not trash! Feminine hygiene products, and even wipes, can obstruct sewer lines.
- Pouring fats, oils, or grease down the drains can cause blockages, worsening backup problems during wet weather.
Why Regular Sewer Line Maintenance is Critical
Routine sewer line maintenance is crucial, especially during wet weather. Regular sewer inspection and cleaning by a specialist plumber in Boca Raton can help identify potential problems early to prevent major issues. They can also remove debris or excess buildup in the sewer, reducing the risk of blocks and backups in sudden downpours.
Weatherproof Your Sewer Lines with Broward Plumbing
Enjoy the wet weather and leave the plumbing repairs to the experts at Broward Plumbing. Whether you have a flooded basement, sewer backup, or a clogged drain, we have some of the best plumbers in Boca Raton for comprehensive sewer line services. Our state-of-the-art camera inspections, hydro jetting, and reliable trenchless sewer repairs with pipelining options minimize disruption to your property.