The Do's and Don'ts For Plumbing Issue Free Drains
Posted in General Plumbing Services, on January 24, 2022
One of the most common searches our plumbers in Boca Raton and plumbers in Fort Lauderdale receives is for clogged drains plumbing services. "clogged drains?" Why? Because clogged drains are a part of life. However, knowing what not to do will prevent your drains from clogging in the first place.
There are many reasons why a drain can clog and cause emergency plumbing issues, including the most common:
- Items from the sink strainer
- Natural causes such as tree roots
To avoid emergency plumbing issues in Boca Raton that is a result of clogged drains, we’re sharing some helpful ‘do’s and don’ts’ that will help you keep your drains clear and avoid calling for emergency plumbing in Boca Raton:
- Flush anything other than toilet paper and human waste down the drain. This includes trash, wipes, sanitary products, dental floss, and more. These materials may not cause an immediate clog, but they can over time.
- Never pour grease down the drain. Grease solidifies in the pipes and traps debris that can cause a clog. This will congeal and block water flow into and out of your pipes. Just place leftover grease in a container and throw it in the trash.
- Don't pour baking soda down your drain without also pouring vinegar.
- Avoid pouring oils and fats down your sink drain or garbage disposal. These fats will eventually accumulate and form clogs.
- Avoid pouring cornstarch down the drain.
- Do keep your garbage disposal clean. The best way to do this is to grind ice cubes, once a week, into the disposal. It will grind up any food particles stuck in it and the water will wash away any loose particles. But don't turn on the disposal while it's grinding those ice cubes - it could break the motor.
- Use a drain strainer. A drain strainer is a receptacle that catches hair and other debris before it enters the drain. This can prevent a fair amount of future clogging in your home. We recommend putting strainers on all drains to prevent items from entering the pipes and further causing a clog.
Although drains can be difficult, they are pretty easy to keep from clogging and other emergency plumbing problems in Boca Raton if you keep these tips in mind:
- Keep your sinks and bathtubs free of hair by using hair traps and make sure to clean them often with a plunger or a drain snake. If you have long hair that you condition, roll it up in a towel or ponytail holder before washing your hair so it doesn't get down the drain. This is especially important if you have long hair that doesn't easily fit into a drain strainer or a bathtub plug.
- You can clean pipes with vinegar. Dilute it with two parts water to one part vinegar and pour it into the drain. Let it sit for about an hour, and then pour hot water down the drain to rinse it out. This technique doesn't work on hair, though.
- Use baking soda to keep drains unclogged. Use one cup of baking soda followed by a cup of vinegar. The mixture will release bubbles that will help clear out your drainpipe. After an hour, run hot water down the drainpipe to clear out any debris built up inside that has built up inside of it.
The three main reasons that drains clog and require professional plumbing services are hair clogs, food, and cosmetics. Hair, soap, and toothpaste can all clog up your drains over time, so it is always a good idea to prevent them from building up in the first place.
Contact Broward Plumbing immediately if you notice any clogs or leaks. Damage to your pipes such as cracks and leaks can lead to flooding so it is important to detect these issues early on. This will prevent costly water damage restoration services.
For a wide range of plumbing services in Boca Raton, Contact Broward Plumbing.